Sunday, August 23, 2009

BLOG: Arthur "In My" Day

This is the occasionally updated blog of 101 year-old Arthur "In My" Day. Mr. Day has been following rugby league since before he can remember, which admittedly is not saying all that much since he suffers from Alzheimers. He estimates that he’s seen over 50,000 matches in his time. Then again he also thinks he’s only 83 and used to run the hundred metres in 8 seconds during the prime of youth, so figures aren’t necessarily his strong suit. One thing is certain though: Arthur is a league man through and through. He’s not afraid to have his say on the game, both how it is now and how it was in his day...


In my day we didn't wear headgear. In fact we didn't wear anything at all... wait that's a different story. Sorry Mrs. Day. What I mean is that when we were playing footy, we didn't wear any headgear. Stupid things weren't even invented yet.

Honestly what's the point of strapping some ridiculous contraption to your head? For protection against potentially fatal head injuries, people always say. What a load of bloody nonsense! I suffered over 20 concussions playing the game and look at me now. Well you can't look at me because you're there and I'm here, but I can tell you that I'm fighting fit in body and mind. Especially in the body. Especially in the mind. Especially in the... where was I?

You see wearing headgear is like admitting to the opposition that you're a wimp. If I ever saw a wimp in headgear I would've just belted him twice as hard, right around the nose. He wouldn't be able to smell any of his wimpy bloody flowers after that.

What really makes me cranky are these morons that use bright colourful variations of headgear. If I didn't know any better I'd think that they weren't ashamed of themselves. But they must be. At least just wear the same colour as everybody else and hope nobody recognises you. You better all hope I never recognise you on the street, because if I do I'm going to yell random, incoherent obscenities at you just as any old man worth his salt should - you bloody pathetic headgear-wearing wimps!

I'm off to bed...

No comments: